Siwei Lyu is a tenured Associate Professor at the Department of Computer Science, the College of Engineering and Applied Sciences, the University at Albany, State University of New York. He is the Director of Computer Vision and Machine Learning Lab (CVML) at University at Albany, State University of New York.
Dr. Lyu received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from Dartmouth College in 2005, and his M.S. degree in Computer Science in 2000 and B.S. degree in Information Science in 1997, both from Peking University, China. Dr. Lyu was a tenure-track Assistant Professor from 2008-2014. During 2005-2008, he was a Post-Doctoral Research Associate at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and the Center for Neural Science of New York University. He was an Assistant Researcher at Microsoft Research Asia (then Microsoft Research China) in 2001.
Dr. Lyu's research interests include digital media forensics,
computer vision, and machine learning.
Dr. Lyu has published over 110 refereed journal and conference papers.
Dr. Lyu's research projects are funded by NSF, DARPA, NIJ, UTRC, IBM and University at Albany, SUNY.
He is the recipient of the IEEE Signal Processing Society
Best Paper Award (2011), the National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2010), SUNY Albany's Presidential Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Activities (2017), SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Activities (2018)
and Google Faculty Research Award (2019).
Dr. Lyu currently serves on the IEEE Signal Processing Society's Information Forensics and Security Technical Committee, and is on the Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security. Dr. Lyu is a senior member of International Society of Electric and Electronic Engineers (IEEE), and a member of Omicron Delta Kappa (OΔΚ).
Dr. Lyu is currently the coordinator of UAlbany CS Department Colloquiums.
- (03/01/2019) Our work is featured on Spanish News paper El Pais [link].
- (02/28/2019) Our work on detecting AI-synthesized fake media has won Google Faculty Research Award for the year of 2019.
- (02/14/2019) Our work is featured on O'Reily's Data Show Podcast [link] and a Brookings Institute blog [link].
- (02/01/2019) Our work on detecting DeepFake is featured on Univision [link].
- (11/19/2018) I received SUNY Chancellor's Award for Research and Creative Activities. Here is a photo at the ceremony.
(left to right) President Havidàn Rodríguez, Dr. Siwei Lyu, and Dean Kim Boyer.
- (11/06/2018) Our work on detecting DeepFake generated videos using detection of eye blinking are reported by many news media, including The MIT Technology Review
[article], CNN Money
[article], Spectrum News [TV interview] Wired Magazine [article],
[interview], DataSkeptics Podcast [interview], Deseret News [article], The Register [article], Columnbia Journalism Review [article], iNews [article]
- For details, check my article on The Conversation and our paper to be presented at WIFS 18.
- (09/01/2018) Our pose estimation work is ranked #1 on the very challenging MPII benchmark.
Video demonstration of our pose estimation results. This work has also been accepted for publication by ECCV.