Siwei Lyu is a Professor at the Department of Computer Science
and the founding Director of Computer Vision and Machine Learning Lab (CVML) of
University at Albany, State University of New York.
Dr. Lyu was an Assistant Professor from 2008 to 2014, and a tenured Associate Professor from 2014 to 2019, in the same department.
From 2005 to 2008, he was a Post-Doctoral Research Associate at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute and
the Center for Neural Science of New York University. He was an Assistant Researcher at Microsoft Research
Asia (then Microsoft Research China) in 2001. Dr. Lyu received his Ph.D. degree in Computer Science from Dartmouth College in 2005, and
his M.S. degree in Computer Science in 2000 and B.S. degree in Information Science in 1997, both from Peking University, China.
Dr. Lyu's research interests include digital media forensics,
computer vision, and machine learning.
Dr. Lyu has published over 130 refereed journal and conference papers.
Dr. Lyu's research projects are funded by NSF, DARPA, NIJ, UTRC, IBM and University at Albany, SUNY.
He is the recipient of the IEEE Signal Processing Society
Best Paper Award (2011), the National Science Foundation CAREER Award (2010), SUNY Albany's Presidential Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Activities (2017), SUNY Chancellor's Award for Excellence in Research and Creative Activities (2018)
and Google Faculty Research Award (2019).
Dr. Lyu currently serves on the IEEE Signal Processing Society's Information Forensics and Security Technical Committee, and is on the Editorial Board of IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security. Dr. Lyu is a senior member of IEEE, a member of ACM, a member of Sigma Xi, and a member of Omicron Delta Kappa.
Dr. Lyu is currently the coordinator of UAlbany CS Department Colloquiums.
- (05/26/2020) I was interviewed by Japanese TV Channel NHK's Koukusai Houdou (国際報道) for our work on DeepFake detection [Link].
- (02/24/2020) Our paper on the [Celeb-DF dataset], which includes 5000+ high-quality synthetic
videos has been accepted by CVPR 2020!
- (02/24/2020) I was featured in Episode 6 of the PBS Documentary "Fake: Searching for Truth in the Age of Misinformation" [Link].
- (01/30/2020) I was interviewed by Inverse [Link].
- (01/28/2020) I presented and spoke as a panelist at the FTC workshop on voice cloning technologies [Link]
and corresponding report on VentureBeat [Link].
- (01/08/2020) I was interviewed Fox News about Facebooks's new policy on DeepFakes [Link].
- (11/26/2019) My comments were featured in an article in the Wired Magazine UK [Link].
- (11/22/2019) I testified at New York State Senate Hearing on protecting consumer data and privacy on online platforms
- (10/09/2019) I was featured in an IEEE Spectrum article
- (10/04/2019) I discussed DeepFakes and their detections on WHYY The Pulse
- (09/26/2019) I testified at the US House of Representative Committee on Science, Space, and Technology Subcommittee on Oversights and Investigation Hearing on "Online Imposter and Disinformation"
See also report on Times Union [Link]
and Washington Post [Link].
- (09/03/2019) I am very excited to be an academic advisor of the DeepFake Detection Challenge sponsored by FaceBook, Microsoft and PAI with multiple universities,
along with Profs Hany Farid and Alyosha Efros (UC-Berkeley), Serge Belongie (Cornell Tech), Rama Chellappa (John Hopkins), Phil Torr (Oxford), Phillip Isola and Antonio Torraalba (MIT) [Link].
See also report on Times Union [Link].